Monday, April 13, 2009

Rosa Mexicano


My son introduced me to Rosa Mexicano a couple of years ago, before he decamped for San Francisco and fame and fortune with Twitter. I'm pleased to say that the food and service remain very good.

Rod and I enjoyed a nice Easter brunch at Rosa Mexicano before going to a matinee of Ion at The Shakespeare Theatre Company (see subsequent posting for review). Although I don't normally associate Passover fare with Mexican restaurants, Rosa Mexicano featured several specials that qualified dietarily. Rod ordered one of these dishes, a whole roasted bass, and not for religious reasons--it just looked good! The bass was perfectly prepared, moist and juicy, with just enough seasoning to enhance but not overpower the flavor of the fish. I opted for Mexican-style scrambled eggs over ham, which was nice but certainly not as good as Rod's bass. We each had a glass of wine, a respectable Sauvignon for me and an Argentinean rose for Rod. A delicious coconut flan topped off the meal.

Our server was excellent, polite, cheery, and attentive without being officious. I would certainly return, and the convenient location--within a block of The Shakespeare Theatre Company--makes Rosa Mexicano an inviting locale for a pre-theatre meal.

No comments: